I don’t know. It might just be me. But if Hank Nightingale’s mouth was at my neck, I wouldn’t be thinking about French toast.
Okay, maybe I would. I do like my food.
And feeding it to people I love.
Roxie’s Stuffed French Toast
- As much bread as you want*
- 2-3 Eggs
- Dollop o’ Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Maple Syrup
How to do it…
- Get out a bowl and crack your eggs in. Splash your dollop o’ milk in and dab a bit of vanilla extract in. Vanilla extract is potent so don’t pour in with a liberal hand. I’d say no more than a teaspoon. The more you make this, the more you’ll know how you like it. Scramble that all together with a fork so you have your dippin’ mixture ready.
- Now get out another bowl. Smush your softened cream cheese with some powdered sugar. Again, this is to taste. If you’re a cheesier sort, go with a light hand. If you’ve got a sweeter tooth, go whole hog. But beware to go slow, powdered sugar (or icing sugar, in the UK) has a tendency to liquefy stuff and you don’t want this runny. You want it goopy.
- Grab yourself a big skillet and throw a healthy pat of butter in it. You want to be on medium heat here, sisters and brothers. You don’t want to go crazy and burn the crap out of your toast. Buttery browned, eggy goodness=good. Blackened grossness=bad.
- Once your butter is melted, put a piece of bread in the egg mixture until it soaks through. Being careful with drips, put this in the skillet. Repeat this with your second slice of bread. Scoot this around a bit, lifting an edge after a few minutes to see if you’ve got browned goodness on the bottom side. Flip when it’s ready.
- And you gotta be ready because you need to get right into the next bit.
- Slap a big spoonful of the cream cheese mixture on the upward, browned slice of one piece of bread and spread it around, close to the edges but not over. Take the other slice of bread and put it browned side down on your cream cheese. Toast that puppy on one side, flip it and toast it on the other side, until you’ve got lovely golden goodness on either side and the cream cheese should heat a bit through.
- Slide this on a plate, throw another pat of butter on (if that’s your gig), douse with maple syrup (if that’s your gig) and tuck in!
- Now, just to say, you can have so much fun with this. In the powdered-sugar-cream-cheese mixture you can throw in some lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice. Or lime zest and lime juice. Or orange zest and orange juice. Or you can put in a dab of almond extract and some slivered, toasted almonds. You could even shave some chocolate in there, and throw some shavings on top of the toast when it’s done and douse that mother in chocolate sauce! I mean, you can do whatever you want to put a little va-va-voom in your French toast.
- Or you can take it like it comes, standard breakfast…except better!
* White bread I’d say, but you need to double up so if you’re making this for two people, you need 4 slices, four people, you need 8. You catch my drift.