My sister says she’s a terrible cook. I’m not sure my sister lies about anything.
Whenever we have a family dinner, she always apologizes about how the food she cooked went.
Mind you, she does this to a silent table because we’re all gobbling her shizzle up as fast as we possibly can.
She’s just a perfectionist. A perfectionist who is a damn fine cook.
One day, I went over to her house for dinner, not knowing I’d land right in nirvana.
This happened when she made a potato casserole that was being bandied about on Facebook that had sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese…
She made it. We ate it. And it was so good, it defied belief. And yet we’ve made it again and it was proved true. It existed.
As happens, something this good had to be put in a book. So I put it in a book.
Now from my sister’s kitchen to Cassidy’s to yours, I’m giving it to you.
Fully Loaded Potato Casserole
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (1 cup early, ½ cup later)
- 8 slices bacon, chopped, cooked, divided (half and half)
- ½ bunch green unions, sliced
How to do it…
- Prepare potatoes and boil in salted water until tender. In the meantime, turn your oven on to preheat at 375º F/190 º C. You also might wanna get to cooking up the chopped bacon.
- Once potatoes are done, transfer them to a bowl or standing mixer where you can mash them.
- Add the cream cheese, sour, cream, stop drooling, then add the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Mash all that goodness until smooth. Then stir in that first cup of cheddar cheese and half the bacon. Spoon mixture evenly into a lightly oiled three quart casserole dish. If you’re feeling fancy, decorate the top with a spatula or fork in swirls or scores.
- Bake this awesomeness for twenty minutes. At that time, pull it out of the oven and sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, bacon and the green onions. Bake for another five minutes to melt the toppings.
- Serve immediately (not like you wouldn’t do that anyway). Aaaaaaaaand…enjoy!