So this is the thing.
I like pink.
Like, a lot.
Like, when I went off to college, I had a pink alarm clock and I don’t know where it went, but to this day–decades later–I miss it, because it was kickass with a mirrored face.
But mostly because it was pink.
I had pink peonies at my wedding. My living room is white with dove gray walls, gold and silver accents…and lots and lots of PINK!
So, obviously, I’m going to love a pink drink.
And I do.
Marilyn, the matriarch in the River Rain novels, reminds me a lot of my grandmother…who, in turn, I’m a lot like. And this was Marilyn’s favorite drink.
My grandmother preferred champagne (and smoked one single cigarette a year, on New Year’s Eve, and she put it in one of those long filters, because if you’re going to indulge in a deadly vice once a year, you better do it with style).
But if she was with me, and I was shaking, she’d 100% slide an empty coupé glass my way.
Chloe’s Pink Lady
- 1 1/2 ounces Gin (I use Hendrick's, but I'm a gin snob)
- 1/2 ounce Applejack (you can leave this out, I do)
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 4 dashes of Grenadine
- 1 egg white (or if you're not feeling this, you can grab some cocktail foamer to add that finishing touch)
- Your choice of garnish: Lemon Twist, Lemon Slice, Maraschino Cherry...or all three!
How to do it…
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake for 10 seconds.
- Open shaker and add ice until the shaker is full and then shake again for 20-30 seconds until the egg has made the mixture frothy.
- Pour into a coupé and garnish.