I’ve been making this salad for decades.
Because it’s one of those salads that only nods to being a salad, mostly, it’s a taste-bud-exploding sensation of epic proportions. Smooth cheese, bacony crunch, sweet dressing, acidy onion. It is not good for you…at all (though, broccoli always packs a nutritional punch, especially raw, so I tell myself it’s all balances out and the truth of it is, it does!).
As of entering this recipe on my website, I’m racking my brain as to what loved one shared this amazingness with me and I cannot for the life of me remember. But whoever they were, they’ve given me good times, and good eating, for probably half of my life. So the gift proved precious…
And I hope you feel the same way!
Archie’s Hound-Will-Eat-It Broccoli Salad
- 1 Medium/Large Head of Broccoli
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ C Bacon (cooked crisp – about 4-6 rashers)
- ¼ C Sugar
- ½ C Mayonnaise
- 1 T Red Wine Vinegar
How to do it…
- Chop broccoli into bite-size florets (use the stalks too, if that’s your jam). Finely chop half the onion. Scissor bacon into bits and cook crisp. Throw all of this with cheese together in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing in another bowl then pour onto salad ingredients. Toss so it covers everything. Note that there is a goodly amount of dressing, so if you want to add more bacon or cheese or onion, feel free.
It’s good to chill in the fridge for a bit before eating, so you can prepare it in advance. It’s also good the next day, so don’t worry about leftovers!